Have you heard the commotion about Radon Gas lately?
Let us shed a little light on the subject to help quell any fears or confusion.
Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally from the decay of uranium that is found in the soil. Radon gas in the home, however, cannot be detected by living in the home alone, as it is colorless, odorless, and cannot be tasted.
It is a known carcinogen and left undetected and unmitigated for long periods of time can lead to lung cancer. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that a home found with high Radon levels, above 4 pCi/L, have mitigation performed.
Should I test for Radon Gas?
According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,
‘Radon is a radioactive gas that cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted. Radon gas is a natural substance that can be found in the dirt and rocks beneath houses, in well water, and in some building materials. It can enter homes through soil, crawlspaces, foundation cracks, floors, and walls. Once inside, it can sometimes become trapped in your home. All homes have some radon gas. Breathing high levels of radon can put you at risk for lung cancer. To see if your house has dangerous levels of radon, you should test it.’
$40 in Savings AUTOMATICALLY!
Receive $40 off the total cost of a Radon Measurement Test when you pair it with a Home Inspection!
During the sale of a home, the State of Illinois requires a homeowner to disclose any known Radon gas levels, however most homeowners have not tested their homes and therefore honestly cannot disclose the presence of Radon. Testing is recommended in these cases.